The 2018 Point-in-Time Count approaches! The night of January 24th, 2018 is Minnesota’s annual count of all persons experiencing homelessness.
This ICA MN webpage will house all essential documents that our CoC Coordinators, PIT leads, and partners need to know! Check back for updates frequently. Note there are sections below separated by the portion of the count (Unsheltered, HMIS, non-HMIS).
1/12/2018: Thanks to your fantastic questions, here’s a frequently asked questions guide, 2018-ICA-PIT-FAQs, in follow up to the webinar below.
1/9/2018 Update: Watch our PIT training webinar below.
Unsheltered PIT Count
PIT LIVE: this web-based survey tool allows for live data entry by your volunteers and PIT surveyors.
- PIT LIVE Training Video: To learn more, watch this 4-minute video.
PIT LIVE Demonstration Survey
Then, explore this PIT LIVE demonstration survey (the demo survey will be available until a few days prior to the count).
For those who rely on paper and pen, worry not! We have options for you, too.
- MN Unsheltered PIT Survey 2018 v3 – this printable survey matches the PIT LIVE survey. This format allows for 1 adult/youth-headed household response per survey, and up to 6 children. It is ICA’s expectation that all paper surveys used on the night of PIT are manually entered into PIT LIVE by February 16th.
- MNUnsheltered Survey 2018 Grid Format v1 – Grid Format: this printable survey allows for up to 5 adult respondents and 6 children. It matches the PIT LIVE survey. It is ICA’s expectation that all paper surveys used on the night of PIT are manually entered into PIT LIVE by February 16th.
- MN Observation Tool 2018 v1 – This is the observation tool for the 2018 PIT Count for use during the unsheltered count if an interview cannot be completed.
School-based PIT Count
Many school liaisons participated in data collection for PIT in 2017. We recognize that increased clarity is needed to ensure school partners have context and parameters for both appropriate privacy (in accordance with FERPA), reasonableness of the data collection method, and compliance with accepted data collection methodology.
The resources below are for school-based partners who are conducting the Point-in-Time Count:
- 2018 ICA PIT FAQs – Review the School-based section of the FAQ guide.
- MN School-based PIT Survey 2018 v1 – printable survey
- TBD PIT LIVE School-based Survey Demo
Doubled Up PIT Count
Below are the same tools listed above, but tailored to Doubled Up individuals or households.
Statewide Unsheltered Count Resources
The resources below are for CoC Coordinators and partners who are conducting the Point-in-Time Count and provide training for volunteers:
- PIT Overview and Unsheltered Survey Directions– produced by the MN Housing Office to Prevent and End Homelessness, this overview document provides instructions and guidelines for conducting the unsheltered count.
- Unsheltered Volunteer Training Webinar 2018 – produced by the MN Housing Office to Prevent and End Homelessness, this slideshow is meant to assist those providing training to volunteers for the unsheltered count.
MN Homeless Veteran Registry
The Minnesota Homeless Veteran Registry ensures that Veterans experiencing homelessness have access to appropriate housing and services. Anyone who served in the U.S. Armed Forces, Reserves, or National Guard can join the Registry, regardless of the type of discharge.
Emergency Shelters and Transitional Housing Agencies NOT in HMIS
Agencies that provide homeless services through ES or TH that do not participate in HMIS can opt to complete PIT LIVE using data from their internal database. We recommend reviewing the PIT LIVE Demonstration in advance of the PIT so you can be sure to have systems in place to collect the appropriate client data on that night.
- non-HMIS PIT LIVE Demonstration Survey
- PIT LIVE Training Video (4 minutes) – see above
- What is the Point-in-Time Video (30 minutes) – see Training Resources below
Emergency Shelters and Transitional Housing Agencies in HMIS
ES and TH agencies in HMIS will receive instruction closer to the PIT. As always, be sure you are practicing thorough, complete, and timely data entry and that your contact information is up-to-date with both ICA and your CoC Coordinator.
What is the Point-in-Time? Produced by ICA MN, this educational video provides an overview of the PIT from a nationwide and local level (we recommend starting this video at 2 minutes 44 seconds).
2018 HUD PIT and HIC Notice – Most recent data guide produced by HUD.
2018 HUD PIT and HIC Webinar – A helpful webinar explaining the changes in the 2018 HIC and PIT.