The HMIS Interim Governing Board and its committees were established to help usher in the transition to a new HMIS Lead Agency and State System Administrator, Institute for Community Alliances, in mid-2016. The descriptions below originate from a newsletter sent to HMIS users and stakeholders on August 19, 2016.
Please review the descriptions below of HMIS committees and workgroups, who is leading them, and when they meet. As you review, please consider getting involved in HMIS planning by either attending meetings, being added to email distribution lists, or joining one of the workgroups. Please note that all meetings are open to the public—please contact the chair to get involved.
HMIS Governing Board
Transition note: The HMIS Interim Governing Board had its last meeting on March 13, 2017. The board transitioned to a permanent HMIS Governing Board in April 2017. Interim Governing Board minutes are available here.
- Provide strategic planning, policies, and priorities for the administration of the HMIS program.
- Develop and approve a system-wide budget for the HMIS program.
- Develop resources to meet HMIS program budget needs.
- Coordinate decision-making among the CoCs and other stakeholders related to designation of the Lead Agency/Statewide System Administrator (LA/SSA).
- Resolve issues as they arise related to the HMIS program and participate in annual review of the performance of the designated LA/SSA.
- Direct all public communications related to the HMIS program.
- Advise key stakeholders on the use of HMIS program data for research purposes to enable the production of jurisdictional reports, including the reporting needed to meet state and HUD requirements.
- Establish and maintain a grievance policy that is understood and trusted by all constituencies.
- Ensure system compliance with HUD and legislative mandates.
- Appoint members and officers of the HMIS Governing Board, consistent with protocols established by the HGB.
- Serve as a forum for broader stakeholder engagement, program coordination, policy, planning, and operation of HMIS program.
Chair: Joel Salzer, 651-296-9828, email@example.com
Meets: 2nd Monday of the month from 9:30am-12:30pm at DHS (444 LaFayette—5th floor) and via iTV and conference call. Please note, if planning to attend in person, please contact Joel to ensure a name badge is prepared for you in advance.
HMIS Governing Board Executive Committee
Transition note: The HMIS Interim Governing Board Executive Committee held its last meeting on March 13, 2017. The Interim Executive Committee transitioned to a permanent Executive Committee in April 2017.
Purpose/Description: Coordinate and plan monthly HMIS Governing Board meetings. The Executive Committee may also serve as an ad hoc work group as directed by the HMIS Governing Board. Meeting minutes are provided as handouts at the following HMIS Governing Board meeting and can also be accessed by clicking here.
Chair: Joel Salzer, 651-296-9828, firstname.lastname@example.org
HMIS Finance Committee
- Expand and take responsibility for the current 2019 – 2020 budget.
- Identify resources to support expenses and expectations (what do we get with what we buy) as laid out in the Annual Workplan.
- Recommend future budget (needed to support the HMIS model we are pursuing).
- Recommend any changes to the finance plan to support the budget, including:
- A “fair share” plan for each region/funder to contribute a proportionate amount to support HMIS.
- Guidance for how local regions might secure additional funding.
- Monitor income and expenses and suggest appropriate action to the board.
- Coordinate work with the Policy and Prioritization Committee to develop recommendations for adjustments to priorities in the Workplan as may be indicated by finances.
- Monitor State contracts.
- Recommend/support fundraising activities.
- Report to HGB.
Chair: Abby Guilford, 763-458-9790, email@example.com
Meets: 4th Wednesday of the month from 1-3 pm at DHS (444 LaFayette) and via GoToMeeting and conference call. Please note, if planning to attend in person, please contact Abby to ensure a name badge is prepared for you in advance.
HMIS Policy and Prioritization Committee
- To provide a strategic level review, guidance and oversight of Minnesota’s HMIS.
- Seek and review stakeholder feedback on HMIS operations.
- Help establish annual system performance targets.
- Work with SA/Lead Agency to assure and support application of the HMIS work plan, policies and priorities through:
- High level guidance and oversight of HMIS prioritization.
- System performance quarterly reviews and feedback.
- Assisting SA/LA in finding solutions to improve system performance, utilization and quality functionality.
Meets: 1st Wednesday of the month from 1-3 pm at ICA (1508 E Franklin Ave, Suite 100, Minneapolis, MN 55404) and via conference call.
HMIS Implementation Workgroup
Purpose/Description: Solicit input from users of HMIS regarding ease of use and implementation issues and provide recommendations to Governing Board and State System Administrator (ICA).
Meets: 3rd Wednesday of the month from 1:30-3:00 pm at St. Stephen’s (2309 Nicollet Avenue, Minneapolis, MN 55404) and via conference call.
HMIS Communications Committee
Purpose/Description: The HMIS Communications Committee provides overall communication to HMIS users and the general public about the impact that HMIS has in Minnesota. Its purpose is to communicate the goals of the HMIS Governing Board and to develop and update communication tools, including website, social media, annual user survey, publications, and press releases, for the community.
To this end, the Communications Committee responsibilities include:
- Providing updates and suggestions for the HMIS website;
- Creating marketing materials to increase awareness of HMIS throughout the state;
- Developing communication tools and strategies for the Annual Meeting;
- Identifying other communications methods that could be used to increase awareness about HMIS within Minnesota.
Chair: Jake Gale, firstname.lastname@example.org
Meets: 2nd Wednesday of the month from 1 – 2:30pm via GoToMeeting.
One of the key charges of HMIS Governance is to set and jointly approve with ICA an annual HMIS Work Plan, priorities, budget, and policies. The Finance Committee is responsible for budget oversight and the Policy and Prioritization Committee is responsible for developing and monitoring the Work Plan.
In addition, Governance has worked to create documents intended to increase engagement and transparency with HMIS users and stakeholders:
Please note that these are living documents and while we will strive to update them as soon as possible, there may be some delay in updating them on the website. Thank you for your patience!
HMIS Annual Meetings
The HMIS Governing Board hosts an Annual Meeting every year to inform HMIS stakeholders about the Governing Board, what has happened over the past year, and what is coming in the year ahead. Please see the HMIS Annual Meetings page for meeting documents and recordings.